Thursday 6 September 2012

It's all a bit exciting...

Source
Just a quick hello after a madly busy few months. I'm very conscious of not updating the blog but hopefully you'll forgive me when you hear that so far this year we / I have...

a) renovated a house.
b) moved into new house
c) got my 3 book deal *faints*
and finally... drum roll ...
d) we are having a baby! Very soon! In a few weeks! *faints again*

I won't bore you with the details of the move, lots of you will have done it and know how stressful it is. We were looking for a house for a long time (as previously mentioned in this post) so it was great when we finally found a house with office space for two writers! It needed lots of work - but we're now at the 'picking curtains' stage, rather than the 're-wire and re-plumb' stage!

As for the book deal - well it's been interesting! Not least because up until now my two trusted readers have been my lovely agent Gillie and my friend and writing mentor Bernie McGill. Now I've had to expand the 'reading circle' to include all the lovely people at Hot Key Books, especially my editor Emily Thomas.

It's always strange letting new people read your work. Writing comes from inside you so when someone reads it I always feel a bit exposed - like I've laid down a little piece of my soul for people to pet or spit upon as they choose! I'll be writing more in the blog about the whole editing process - as well as a rather fabulous group of writing ladies who have kept me sane through finishing the book, submitting it and dealing with the ups and downs of negotiations and edits. Forget the A-Team - they are the PWA! More on them soon...

And as for the baby bit... Well, I'll be able to tell you more about that soon enough. For now my stomach is moving from side to side Alien-style which is half-endearing and half-freaky. All tips for juggling newborns and writing gratefully received!

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Oh my goodness, I'm so excited for you! Such a lot going on. My advice for the baby...nothing else will matter as much...hold him...play with him...read to him...talk to him...sing to him...take him places. If the dust and the dishes and the laundry piles up...so what? There'll be time for that while they nap or while they're at school. Enjoy...they grow up in a blink of an eye (says the mother of a 20 year old).

Debbie McCune *Notebook to Novel* said...

Thanks Lisa :-) Any excuse to dump the laundry / housework... "Lisa told me to!" ;-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...